Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Coins in a jar

If you're like me, you come home at the end of the day, empty out your pockets, and place most of the contents on a desk, table, or any other piece of furniture within reach.  Most days there is a good amount of change included in that pile of pocket-stuff.  Well, for as long as I can remember, I've always had a "change jar."  Sometimes I'm disciplined and immediately insert my change upon emptying my pockets. Other times, when I'm less motivated, I let the change pile up on my desk or table until I can't stand it any more, and eventually take the pile of change and tuck it away.  Either way, eventually the change makes its way into the jar.  When the jar is full, I take it to TD bank in NYC where they count and cash your change for FREE.  That's right, no charge - in sharp contrast with Coinstar who charges a whopping nine percent!

Every time I cash in my change I get at least $40!!!  And I never put quarters in the jar.  No, they go into their own special jar (for laundry.)

So, if you'd like to boost your savings a little, or just have something extra to treat yourself to a good meal once in a while, try the jar technique.  Or plastic bag technique.  Or whatever container you find handy, as long as you're saving your hard earned change.

Happy saving!

No comments:

Post a Comment